With summer here, and summer reading programs in full swing, it is a great time to make a book list for your new reader.
These book series for new readers are great for those kids who are still sounding words out, or not quite independent readers.
- Clifford the Big Red Dog by Norman Bridwell
- Frog and Toad, Book #1 byArnold Lobel
- Max and Ruby By Rosemary Wells
- Little Bear By Else Homelund Minarik
- Henry and Mudge By Cynthia Rylant
- The Pigeon Books by Mo Willems
- Elephant and Piggie series by Mo Willems
- Pinkalicous early readers by Victoria Kann
- Pinky and Rex By James Howe
- Biscuit byAlyssa Satin Capucilli
- Pete the Cat byJames Dean
- Read with Dick and Jane
- Mittens byLola M. Schaefer and Susan Kathleen Hartung
- Bob Books byBobby Lynn Maslen and John R. Maslen
- Fly Guy by Tedd Arnold
These books are all part of a series of books. Encouraging young readers to read series keeps them interested in the storylines, and helps them to build a relationship with the character. It also encourages them to recognize familiar words and phrases that are connected from book to book.
These book series for new readers are fantastic resources to help your new reader gain confidence. So, print out this list, head to the library and listen to your new reader!
Misty and her husband have been married for over a decade and have three beautiful children. She shares her struggles with time management, becoming unglued and finding joy in the everyday moments on her blog Joy in the Journey.